What Are Vibrators?
Vibrators are sex toys that are used on the body to produce erotic and sensual satisfaction. Most vibrators contain a powered device which pulses or throbs, and this feature is used to stimulate erogenous zones including the vagina, vulva, clitoris, anus, penis, and/or scrotum. Some vibrators are specifically designed for couples so that they may stimulate the genitalia for both partners.
Vibrators were originally marketed for ‘home use’ in general magazines from around 1900, and were advertised together with other electrical goods for the household. The take home message from such campaigns was for their ultimately-positive health and beauty benefits.
Types of Vibrators
In general, vibrators generate their vibrations via the use of eccentric weights driven by a conventional motorized electric motor, but some use electromagnet coils. Some vibrators are often advertised as ‘body massagers’ but are essentially still used for eroticism. Vibrators run via the use of batteries while others are rechargeable in nature. Some luxurious vibrators are uniquely covered in medical grade silicone with no over-exposed control panels or seam lines. This is a great idea so that fewer places for bacterial growth may reduce the chances of infection or viral health issues. In essence, most vibrators are marketed for vaginal or anal insertion and are conveniently sized to be similar to the average penis size.
How to Choose the Right Vibrator for You
- Anal Vibrators are designed for anal use and have a flared base or a long handle that you can grip so as to prevent them from becoming stuck in the rectum. They are available in different shapes and are recommended to be used with a significant amount of lubricant. For safety, it is suggested that they be inserted gently and carefully to prevent any damage to the rectal lining.
- Bullet Vibrators are usually shaped like a bullet or an egg. These vibrating or pulsating vibrators are used for vaginal insertion and have a wired or a wireless control for ease of use.
- Butterfly Vibrators are primarily used for clitoral stimulation that’s hands-free and are mostly used during sexual intercourse. The name is given due to its shape and it comes in 3 distinct variations: remote controlled, traditional, and can include anal and vaginal stimulators. Most are made from silicone, latex, plastic, or jelly.
- Clitoral Vibrators are a sex toy that’s used to provide sexual pleasure and exacerbate orgasm via the stimulation of the clitoris. Most commonly, they come in various textures, shapes, colors, and sizes. Some clitoral vibrators are made for dual stimulation, stimulating both the clitoris and G-spot. Shapes can be: egg-shaped, bullet shaped, animal shaped, and other fun variations too, like the human tongue as an example. Clitoral vibrators are usually capable of varying speeds.
- Quiet Vibrators are engineered to have quieter motors and are made from materials that quiet the noise of the vibrations. Rechargeable vibrators are the quietest types, but battery powered ones can also have specially designed features to minimize vibrating sounds from the batteries.
- Tongue Vibrators are used to closely simulate the movement, effects and sensations that a human tongue would generate on your clitoris, and can sometimes be shaped like tongues. They are primarily oral sex simulators, and are highly popular for the ladies who get aroused by that type of stimulation.
- Finger Vibrators are excellent for solo sessions or use with a willing partner, and are small enough to be used during sexual intercourse without getting in the way of your most exciting positions. You can pack these toys to go because their size is just right for adding to your purse or packing in to your travel case.
- G-Spot Vibrators are very close to the traditional type vibrator, but with an obvious curve and usually a jelly-like coating. The design is used to stimulate the G-spot or the prostate, for males. They’re usually made of easy-to-clean silicone or a washable acrylic. They’re also usable with or without the vibrations and have a recommendation to be used with a lubricant, especially when used for anal stimulation.
- Rechargeable Vibrators are designed for power that comes from a nearby wall socket. They feature extra-long cables and have super-powerful motors to sustain long play in the bedroom. With the freedom of electrical power, you gain the freedom of longer use. Available in a choice of colors, sizes and added features.
- Rabbit Vibrators are two-pronged for stimulation of both the clitoris and the vagina, occurring simultaneously. In fact, the rabbit vibe consists of 2 comprehensive vibrators of differing sizes. There’s a phallus-shaped vibrator to be inserted into the vagina to stimulate the inside, and a smaller stimulator which faces forward onto the main vibrator to stimulate the clitoris. Most are made of jelly, rubber, latex, or silicone, and come in various colors, sizes and designs.
What Are the Benefits
Great sex is super-good for you
Having great sex helps to promote health and wellbeing. It gives the body a rush of feel-good hormones, thus lifting your mood and physically making you feel awesome, both during and afterward. Using a sex toy can spice up the sex life and add in some fun and playfulness as well. Although the end game is the orgasm, the benefits of getting to know your body and the other person’s is really what makes it so beneficial for both bonding and play.
Sex toys can rejuvenate vaginal walls
For women going through menopause, sometimes there are gynaecological issues. Declining levels of the hormone known as oestrogen can lead to dryness, vaginal tightness, and atrophy in some cases. The end result can lead to painful sex and a diminished sex drive. Thankfully, vibes can alleviate these symptoms because they can help the overall tone and elasticity of vaginal walls, therefore increasing sexual sensation and aiding in the promotion of vaginal lubrication.
Vibrators can also be helpful following gynaecological surgical procedures, and after childbirth, aiding in helping the vaginal tissue to remain flexible, preventing it from becoming overly tight as well as promoting extra blood flow to the area to speed up the healing process.
Sex toys help men too
Men can benefit from sex toys too. In fact, watching their partner play with a vibrator, using one on their partner, having one used on them, or using one for masturbation is key. All of these instances create adventure and playfulness within a relationship. And for guys who don’t like to use them on themselves but love to watch, they’re in for a real treat.
Safety Tips to Consider
“The only thing you want to get from a sex toy is an orgasm,” Planned Parenthood has stated publicly. They went on to say, “However, anytime semen, vaginal secretions, or fluids from STI sores are transferred to someone else’s body — via vaginas, penises, fingers, and yes, sex toys —STIs can be spread.”
Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Buy toys made from nonporous materials to avoid issues with bacteria. Unfortunately bacteria loves wet and warm places, so look at what you’re buying and make sure the product is sealed and nonporous.
- Buy from a reputable company. There are thousands of factories looking to sell cheap products to make a quick buck, so don’t just buy the first or cheapest toy that pops up in your search results online. You get what you pay for, and for a personal toy that may enter and touch your body, it’s very important to make sure it’s hygienic, safe, easy to clean, and reputable.
- Clean your sex toys after every use. You risk developing skin irritation and infection otherwise. Not cleaning your sex toys can result in some nasty bacteria or viral infections. You can use wipes or a gentle disinfectant soap with warm water.
How to Take Care of Vibrators
- Do only use water-based lubricants. Your vibrator isn’t designed for a whole heap of chemicals to be added to it.
- Do wash it after every use. Warm soapy water that contains a disinfectant is perfect.
- Do make sure it’s clean before you use it! You can do a last check to make sure it hasn’t picked up any lint or other particles before you use it.
- Do put safety first. Don’t share your toys with anyone else. You don’t want to risk a bacterial infection or a sexually transmitted disease (STI). This can’t be stated strongly enough.
- Don’t use non-water-based lubricants with silicone vibrators. This is including massage oils, or other oil or silicone-based lubricants. If they’re not water based then give them the flick.
- Don’t use your vibrator while it is charging. If it’s rechargeable, don’t use it while it’s plugged in. Safety is paramount and liquid and electricity is never a good mix, for obvious reasons.
- Do use mild soap which has disinfectant and warm water. The safest for your vibrator. Don’t get the battery area or the charging area wet though.
- Do think about using wipes. These are very convenient. Even baby wipes will do, and they smell fresh too.
- Don’t use the microwave.
- Don’t use alcohol.
- Don’t use acetone.
- Don’t use petroleum.
- Don’t use acidic/alkaline cleaners.
- Do store it already washed and clean.
- Do use a clean, safe pouch for debris-free storage
- Do optimize your battery life and remove the charger once it’s fully charged. This tip is for rechargeable models.
- Don’t expose your vibrators to extreme cold or hot temperatures.
- Don’t leave it uncovered so that dust and other debris can adhere to it.
Common Questions People Ask
How do vibrators work?
It’s the intrinsic movement of the vibrator that’s powered by an electrical mechanism inside of its framework. The motor in a battery-powered vibrator is small and have a purpose-built weight that spins around, making them vibrate. Larger, wall to plug vibrators have larger, more powerful motors, and some models use electromagnetic coils which spin to promote the vibrating movement.
What’s the best vibrator for a man?
It seems that the best choice is an electric or battery-powered vibrator that is made with a cup-shaped attachment. These are cleverly designed to surround the penis head and transmit the vibrations directly to the head and glans, the most sensitive areas for pleasure. Men may use this type of vibrator alone or in combination with manual stroking for masturbation purposes, with or without a partner.
Can I hurt myself?
It’s true; when considering battery-powered vibrators there is a minimal risk of electrical shock, and the wall to plug vibrators have the same risk of electrocution as with any electrical appliance. It’s important to keep them away from liquid unless they are made with the added design feature that’s intended to be waterproof. Always make sure that any wires are secure and not frayed. Don't use your vibrator so that it overheats because it could cause a minor burn or cause electrical overheating.
What is the Best Vibrator for You?
Figure out the type of vibrator you want, first and foremost. Vibrators come in a wide range of types and doing a little research is useful so that you know your ideas for choice before you buy. If you have something particular in mind, selecting what vibrator you want will help you to have a better shopping experience. Remember, it’s all about you!
Size, type, color, and features. These will help you to know your choice best. Ask yourself questions like, where will I use it? Is it for masturbation or partnered pleasure? Is that color sexy? Do I like having multiple choices? Where will I store it? Add any other questions which seem relevant to you. It’s really fun choosing actually, just like shoe or clothes shopping, but with that added hint of soon-to-come pleasure in mind.
3 Mind-Blowing Tips for Using Vibrators
Once you have a vibrator, get to know it.
Before you start using your vibrator during sex or intimate moments with a partner, you should always try using it on yourself first. When you do this, you'll always know exactly how to use a vibrator to gain the ultimate pleasure you seek. Take some time to explore the settings so that you can get an idea of how intensely it vibrates and feels. If you're already aroused, then you'll notice how good it feels just holding it in your hand while it's shaking. Later, if you let a partner be in control, you’ll know how to explain what you like to them.
Don’t focus on reaching orgasm.
You might start running it all over your body, to know what feels best. Essentially, you will be teasing yourself with the vibrator to get a feel for it. When you’re ready, you can start moving the vibrator closer to your clitoris. You can start by holding it away from any sensitive areas, because sometimes it can be too intense holding it directly on the clitoris and it might feel better nearby instead. Take your time and explore what feels best to you.
Use it to orgasm when you’re ready.
It’s important to make sure you're relaxed and somewhat turned on. Getting turned on might mean watching pornography, or fantasizing about a real or dream lover. Some people read naughty novels to get in the mood. The x factor is doing what you need to do to get aroused or horny. Use your imagination or some visual stimulation if need be.
Tease yourself first. You don't need to go straight to your most sensitive areas immediately. Just pay close attention to what feels enjoyable and pleasurable, and before you know it, the end game will be something that occurs naturally for you. O my...
The Amazing Health Benefits of Orgasms
Vibrators are usually highly recommended by sex therapists to women who have difficulty reaching orgasm via either self masturbation or sexual intercourse. Partners may also choose to use a vibrator to vitalize the pleasure of one or both partners. Together or singularly, it can feel so good, adding to bonding and allowing the body to reach orgasm as well, promoting a satisfying rush of endorphins and becoming fully relaxed after ‘letting go.’
Spoil Yourself with the Best Vibrator
At first, you may keep a modest budget so you can later move up to something more sophisticated when you know what you like. For first timers, you’re going to discover if you like it or not and what other options you can try as well. Use your budget to buy a few different types. Upgrade after that if it’s your thing.
Vibrators have a lot more customizations available too. It might have a motor; it could be rechargeable and may have a lot more functions, including speeds. There are different sizes, colors and styles. Experiment with a lower budget so that you can try more before you get the major purchase.
Go for something a little bolder than usual. By trying new types, sizes and designs may mean a surprisingly different experience overall. Sometimes the most fun comes out of trying them either by yourself or with a partner.
Adventurous types might like to add other sex toys along with vibrators to enhance or differ the pleasure and/or stimulation. There are so many to choose from and it can enhance both the relationship you have with yourself and the one you have with a partner.
Remember, vibrators are made for pleasure, and men and women can enjoy them to enhance sex lives or masturbation. You’re only limited by your imagination and your budget. The best vibrator will get you aroused and help you reach the perfect O. Sometimes having a range of different vibrators can be the most fun of all. Being spoiled for choice is always a great idea when it comes to sexual gratification or self pleasure.